Saturday, December 13, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: #4 Crystal Stilts -- Alight of Night

Photobucket

Crystal Stilts -- Alight of Night

A sound that evokes My Bloody Valentine and The Shins simultaneously, the Crystal Stilts are a great Brooklyn band that actually released TWO albums this year -- but this one was without a doubt the better effort. Every track is a spacey gem. Really, I didn't hear another album like it this year -- it truly stands alone as one of the great indie-rock releases of the year. Unfortunately, all the downloads have since been broken, so...I guess buy it? Weird, I know. But worth it. I totally would.

Honorable Mentions:
Photobucket
The Donkeys -- Living on the Other Side
Horrible name -- amazing album. The Donkeys sorta sound like American Beauty-era Grateful Dead and the Band. Some great tunes here.

Photobucket
Frightened Rabbit -- The Midnight Organ Fight
Lyrically sound Scottish rock...and by lyrically sound I mean absolutely amazing lyrics. Straightforward but effective. "The Twist" is an absolute gem of a song.

No comments: