Monday, December 8, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: #7 Wale -- The Mixtape About Nothing

Photobucket

Wale -- The Mixtape About Nothing

Does anybody else find it weird that the best hip-hop album of the year wasn't even technically an album? Regardless, Wale is one of the best young emcees in hip-hop right now -- lyrics, flow, style: everything about him is different and amazing. He's certainly the freshest breath of air since Kanye West earned Jay-Z five mics. Hopefully he'll put out an album proper next year -- although, any collection of tracks in any format this stellar would be welcome.

Honorable Mentions


Photobucket


Little Joy -- Little Joy
Little Joy are a rock band from LA -- although I think they relocated from Brazil. They have an amazing pop sensibility and their self-titled record is a really great listen. "Shoulder to Shoulder" is definitely one of the best songs I've heard all year.

Photobucket

Why? -- Alopecia

Unconventional and conventional at the same time -- Why? is the brain child of Jonathon "Yoni" Wolf, a sort-of hip-hop artist with a knack for witty lyrics. Definitely not his strongest effort, but it's certainly enjoyable and worthy of a listen...A listen you'll have to seek on your own, as I couldn't find a download. Lame.

1 comment:

elliusbellius said...

I have the why? album that I can upload. You have far superior taste than I do though. I put them at my #2 for album of the year. Haha. Great selection of albums. :) Oh, and thanks for born ruffians and wale. <3