Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Top Albums of 2008: #10 Vivian Girls -- Vivian Girls

K, here's how we'll do this. I'll post the album I picked for the particular spot(plus a download, just in case you haven't heard it), and also share one or two honorable mentions -- albums I really enjoyed but couldn't bring myself to include in the Top 10. After this list, I'll do films. So coming in at number 10, we have...

Photobucket

Vivan Girls -- Vivian Girls

Vivian Girls are a rad little punk/garage/shoegaze band from Brooklyn who's self-titled album is also their debut. The album is everything you'd expect from a riot grrl inspired outfit, but it's never boring. The low-fi production is very much appealing, as are the melodic tunes: they're short, sorta sweet, and always on point. This might sound cliche, but I see a lot of potential in this act. This is an extremely appealing first album, and they'll probably only get bigger from here.

Key Tracks: "Such a Joke", "Going Insane", and "Tell The World"

Honorable Mentions:

Photobucket
Ty Segall -- Ty Segall
Another self-titled debut from a promising garage act -- this Mr. Segall plays a mean, buzzsaw guitar that, when paired with the fuzzbox vocals, create an altogether raw sound. This album fucking rocks.
Photobucket
TV on the Radio -- Dear Science
Another solid release from the venerable TVOTR. I enjoy this album quite a bit -- not nearly as enough their debut, but I think it tops Cookie Mountain. No matter what, though, an album from these guys will always be worthwhile.

No comments: