Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Wackness

Photobucket

This is an awesome little indie starring Josh Peck and Sir Ben Kingsley. Set in 1994, Peck plays a young drug dealer getting ready for his first year of college, while Kingsley places his psychologist/best friend/mentor. Boasting deft direction, a hilarious script and a legit soundtrack, it's the kind of film I wish I could have seen in my teenage years. It's an ambitious and absorbing look at entering adulthood and the trials of self-discovery. Director Josh Levine creates a truly refreshing experience -- the kind of film that accurately illustrates owning and embracing the pain that makes you who you are. And I will say, it is slightly off putting to see a period piece set in a time I remember fairly well. This may mean I'm getting older. It may also mean that Levine managed to find the artistic feel of the early '90s -- with all the great hip-hop to boot.

It's in limited release right now, but hopefully it'll gain some wider acclaim. It's definitely a film well worthy of everyone's time.

No comments: